I hope you enjoy my first episode of Educating Jo. For the best viewing experience you can watch this video on YouTube. Educating Jo Ep 1 "Teaching Philosophy"
Here is the outline I used to make the video.
Preview: Hey Jo, This week I’m going to talk to you about my teaching philosophy.
I decided to talk about my teaching philosophy for the first episode of Educating Jo, because it helps everything I do make sense. This will be a synopsis of my views in general and I will go into more detail in future episodes. My philosophy can be broken into 3 main categories.
- Students are AWESOME!
- They are the reason I got into education and are capable of doing amazing things when put in the right situation.
- Help them enjoy science, so they can shine
- Its hard reach your potential w
- hen you are miserable
- Make them more likely to view science positively in the future when it matters.
- Because students are awesome, it’s my job to show them off.
- Being transparent (having a window into my classroom)
- Led to the creation of this vlog.
- Let parents or other people who care see what is happening in school and why
- Someone will tell the story of school, shouldn’t it be the teachers?
- Examples: student blogs, using twitter, recording presentations
- Provide students with skills they will need for later in life.
- Most students won’t go into a science field, what are they gaining in my class?
- Collaboration, verbal communication, written communication, networking
Highlight of the week: telling my students that we are expecting!
Struggle of the week: Punnett squares and grading
Activity of the week: blood type mystery.
Feel free to leave comments here or on Youtube!