Instagram

Monday, April 25, 2016

Episode 2 Skyping

Educating Jo
Episode 2
"Skyping"

I hope you enjoy watching my second episode of Educating Jo about Skyping. I hope you will subscribe to my YouTube channel to get notifications when the next episode is uploaded!
Educating Jo Episode 2 "Skyping"



Here is the outline I used to make the video!
2. Skyping
Hey Jo, This week I’m going to talk to you about skyping in the classroom.


Intro


I love to connect my students with experts from around the world. It gives me and my students a chance to meet some awesome scientists from around the world. Today I want to explain why I skype, how I set them up, and some stories from my skyping experiences.


  1. Why skype?
    1. Model networking skills
    2. Nightmare-Won’t like science because they don’t like me.
      1. Inspire female students to pursue science.
    3. Science in high school is the most boring science out there.
    4. Keeps me excited as a teacher. Live vicariously.
    5. Students like it.
  2. How skype?
    1. Make a graphic on Canva
    2. Tweet it out to twitter and see if anyone responds
    3. Find people you think would be great and DM or email them.
      1. Shocking how scientists are happy to explain their passion!
    4. Email back and forth
    5. Practice skype
  3. Stories
    1. Cephalopods Dr. Kat Bolstad superstar (top of the field) squid vs octopus
    2. Brachiopods Zoey Hughes museum curator unappreciated animals
    3. Zebrafish Adam Carte researcher using zebrafish for research
    4. Millipedes Derek Hennen describing species adaptations
    5. Sharks Lyndell Bade development
    6. Loons Amber Hart citizen science breeding ground vs wintering grounds


Highlight of the week: Recording student presentations
Struggle of the week: Attendance
Activity of the week: Competition Share Out

Outro: I hope you enjoyed this week’s episode and feel free to like, comment and subscribe! To all the other Educating Joes out there, have a great week teaching!

Feel free to leave comments of future episode topics (or anything else) here or on YouTube!

No comments:

Post a Comment