I hope you enjoy watching my second episode of Educating Jo about Skyping. I hope you will subscribe to my YouTube channel to get notifications when the next episode is uploaded!
Educating Jo Episode 2 "Skyping"
Here is the outline I used to make the video!
Hey Jo, This week I’m going to talk to you about skyping in the classroom.
I love to connect my students with experts from around the world. It gives me and my students a chance to meet some awesome scientists from around the world. Today I want to explain why I skype, how I set them up, and some stories from my skyping experiences.
- Why skype?
- Model networking skills
- Nightmare-Won’t like science because they don’t like me.
- Inspire female students to pursue science.
- Science in high school is the most boring science out there.
- Keeps me excited as a teacher. Live vicariously.
- Students like it.
- How skype?
- Make a graphic on Canva
- Tweet it out to twitter and see if anyone responds
- Find people you think would be great and DM or email them.
- Shocking how scientists are happy to explain their passion!
- Email back and forth
- Practice skype
- Cephalopods Dr. Kat Bolstad superstar (top of the field) squid vs octopus
- Brachiopods Zoey Hughes museum curator unappreciated animals
- Zebrafish Adam Carte researcher using zebrafish for research
- Millipedes Derek Hennen describing species adaptations
- Sharks Lyndell Bade development
- Loons Amber Hart citizen science breeding ground vs wintering grounds
Highlight of the week: Recording student presentations
Struggle of the week: Attendance
Activity of the week: Competition Share Out
Outro: I hope you enjoyed this week’s episode and feel free to like, comment and subscribe! To all the other Educating Joes out there, have a great week teaching!
Feel free to leave comments of future episode topics (or anything else) here or on YouTube!