Instagram

Monday, May 9, 2016

Episode 4: I do, We do, Y'all do, You do.

EDUCATING JO

Episode 4
"I do, We do, Y'all do, You do
I hope you enjoy episode 4 of Educating Jo about this engagement strategy! Please share with anyone you think might be interested and I would love to see your comments here or on the YouTube channel! Thanks for watching!


Link to YouTube video: Click Here
Link to playlist with various examples: I do, We do, Y'all do, You do Playlist

Here is the outline I used to make the video!

4. I do, We do, Y’all Do, You Do
Hey Jo, this week I’m going to talk to you about one of my favorite engagement strategies, I do, We do, y’all do, You do!
Intro
During the last month of school it can be difficult to keep students engaged and focused on learning. I thought it would be a good idea to share one of my best techniques. This is particularly useful when I am teaching or demonstrating a complex concept in Biology. It’s pretty self explanatory, but I’ll explain why I like this strategy and give some examples of times I’ve used it.
  1. Overview
    1. I do=demonstrating an example
    2. We do=students helping me do an example
    3. Y’all do= talking with a partner or group to do the example
    4. You do=test or assignment(prove you can do it on your own)
  2. Why I like the strategy.
    1. Right amount of examples.
Too many examples leaves most of the class bored and unengaged.
      • Too few examples leaves most of the class confused and frustrated.
    • Differentiate the learning
      • This helps the me differentiate the lesson. After the I do,during the we do, students gain confidence helping me do the next example.
      • Self reflection→ do I understand the material well enough for the you do part?
      • Toward the end of the year classes will say “we can skip the we do, I’m ready to explain” or “can we do the We do part again because I still don’t understand it enough.
      • Peer teaching: those that do understand it hone their learning by teaching their classmates = best way to learn. Students learn better from their peers than from the teacher.
  • Examples
    1. Making videos of replication, transcription and translation.
      • I show it.
      • Students pick their role and we go through the part together.
      • Students practice their parts and the classmates assist as needed
      • If we have time we scramble parts so everyone learns every part.
      • I film the final activity and upload the video to Youtube (study material)
    2. Absolute dating
      • I do an example of dating a rock using ½ lives.
      • I do another example where my students walk me through the process.
      • They do several with their table partners. If both struggle they find another group to explain it to them.
      • They need to be able to do it on their own for the assignment and the test.
Highlight of the week: student choice about stars.
Struggle: Controversial Topic
Activity: Fossil Correlation

Outro: I hope you enjoyed this week’s episode and feel free to share, like, comment and subscribe! To all the other Educating Joes out there, have a great week teaching!

Thank you for checking out my project! Feel free to leave comments about examples where you have used the strategy or any questions you might have!

No comments:

Post a Comment