Instagram

Monday, May 16, 2016

Episode 5 "grading"

EDUCATING JO

Episode 5
"Grading"

I hope you enjoy episode 5 of Educating Jo about grading! Even though grading can be difficult to discuss, I talk about what I think about grading, my grading categories and an example unit.
Please share with anyone you think might be interested and I would love to see your comments here or on the YouTube channel! Thanks for watching!



Here is the outline I used to make the video!

5. Grading
Hey Jo, this week I’m going to talk to you about my grading policies.
Intro
Our final grades are due this week so I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to talk to you about how about grading. I’ll talk about how I feel about grades, the categories I have set up for student work and go through an example unit.
I feel like grades are almost a taboo topic and they grading policies are deeply personal (which is weird). It’s like we are scared to get criticized on how we grade so we make it a secret. I’ll try to fix that here and make it obvious how I grade my students’ work.
  1. Grades are stupid.
    1. Cons
      1. Care more about grade than learning.
      2. Parents think everything is great if they have a good grade.
      3. Parents think their kids are worthless if they get a bad grade.
    2. Pros
      1. Shows how well they understand the content.
      2. Try to emphasize learning over what grade they get. Going gradeless…
      3. Lots of ungraded work.
      4. Late work and retakes.
  2. Categories
    1. Videos
      1. Done in class, previous video 5-10 points
    2. Activities
      1. Activities we do in class. Especially presentations 10-20 points
    3. Assignments
      1. Practice mastering the skills you’ll need for the test. 10-15 points
    4. Tests
      1. Show you have the content masters by answering short answer questions about the content. 35-55 points
      2. For each unit the test should be worth the same as the other categories added together.
    5. Final
      1. District policy 10% of the overall grade: 60 points.
  3. Example
    1. Genetics
      1. Videos
        1. 3 5 point videos about replication, transcription & translation. 15 points
      2. Activity:
        1. Building candy models of DNA picture on iPad, show 5 main concepts 5 points
        2. Replication activity: show what the 3 main enzymes do in replication 8 points
      3. Assignment:
        1. Differences between DNA & RNA 8 points
        2. DNA worksheet: Review what we did in the activity and videos in assignment form. 10 points
        3. Translation assignment: show how to do replication, transcription, and translation. 13 points 59 points total
      4. Test:
        1. Genetics test worth 44 points.
Highlight of the week: Student compliments
Struggle of the week: Student behavior
Activity of the week: Evolution Game

Outro: I hope you enjoyed this week’s episode and feel free to share, like, comment and subscribe! To all the other Educating Joes out there, have a great week teaching!

Thank you for taking the time to watch my video! I'd love to continue to conversation in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment